About the SVS PB16-Ultra
One subwoofer to rule them all
The PB16-Ultra's massive 16" woofer weighs 63.9 lbs!
The flagship model in SVS's renowned series of ported-box subwoofers is the awe-inspiring PB16-Ultra. This 175-pound, 1500-watt beast produces low frequencies that will grip and energize a large room. This is bass you'll feel from head to toe.
The PB16-Ultra is capable of staggering levels of low-frequency output, and a high degree of subtlety and finesse that will please movie buffs and audiophiles alike. If you're looking for thunderous bass extension down to a mind-boggling 13 Hz, then keep reading.
Three major innovations
The PB16-Ultra features the biggest driver ever used in an SVS subwoofer. This lightweight yet rigid 16" cone is connected to an 8" edge-wound voice coil — the largest we've ever heard of in a consumer subwoofer. Large cones are by nature difficult to control, but that oversized voice coil ensures accurate frequency response and quick transients, for bass that never sounds "slow" or boomy.
It takes serious electronic muscle to power and control such a massive woofer cone, and the built-in Sledge STA-1500D amplifier is more than up to the task. Unlike many Class D amps, this one's discrete MOSFET outputs can deliver incredible amounts of current, helping it push that 16" woofer to extreme levels of performance. Keeping all this power under control is an advanced Analog Devices digital signal processor.
The third big innovation puts precise control over the PB16-Ultra at your fingertips. SVS's smartphone app gives you total control from your Apple® or Android® device. It handles all DSP functions and conveniently stores custom presets. For added convenience, 2-way feedback shows updates in real time on both the app and subwoofer display, and built-in Bluetooth® allows adjustments to be made even when the subwoofer is not in sight. You can also control the sub via the intuitive front-panel display, or with the supplied remote.
Brains to match all that brawn
The PB16-Ultra's on-board tools for fine-tuning the sound include three digital parametric EQs with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values. Room Gain Compensation control gives you a way to help tame pesky room response issues, like the tendency of bass to become overpowering in smaller rooms. And of course you get fully adjustable phase compensation and digital crossover controls.
To make adjustments easier, SVS moved the LED display to the sub's front panel. And they also included stereo line-level RCA plus balanced XLR inputs and outputs for flexible connectivity with a wide range of audio gear, including high-end stereo preamps and .
Rigid construction and flexible tuning options
The PB16-Ultra's big bass-reflex cabinet allows its 16" driver to make long excursions for exceptionally deep bass at high output levels. SVS placed the sub's three flared, low-noise ports on the front of the enclosure to minimize back-wall interaction, for greater bass accuracy. If you reach out to SVS directly, they will provide foam plugs for free. These plugs let you custom-tune how deep and loud the sub will play, by blocking the ports. The PB16-Ultra's strong, rigid enclosure helps eliminate cabinet flex and resonance to keep your bass ultra-clean.
- frequency response: 13-280 Hz (± 3 dB)
- built-in Class D amplifier delivers 1500 watts RMS of continuous power (5000 watts peak dynamic power)
- Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) ensures the cleanest 1500W output with your home's AC power supply
- 16" fiberglass resin composite cone with cast aluminum basket for extreme performance and reliability
- 8" diameter, high-power edge-wound voice coil
- robust MDF cabinet construction with double-thickness front baffle and reinforced bracing to support the massive drive unit and ensure an acoustically inert environment
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design with three 3-1/2" high-flow flared ports
- high-resolution 50MHz Analog Devices Audio DSP with 56-bit filtering for ultra-precise audio reproduction
- continuously variable low-pass crossover (30-200 Hz, with selectable 6dB, 12dB, 18dB, or 24dB/octave filter settings, and a disable/LFE setting)
- 3 digital parametric EQ filters with adjustable frequency, cut/boost, and Q values
- Room Gain Compensation lets you compensate for the increase in low frequency sound as room size decreases
- variable phase control (0-180° )
- 3 bass response presets (Movie, Music, Custom)
- convenient front-mounted display with subwoofer controls and 8-digit LED display
- remote control
- subwoofer control and bass management smartphone app for Apple® and Android® devices
- unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR line-level/LFE inputs
- unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR line outputs
- 3V-12V trigger input for turning the subwoofer on/off from another component, like an A/V receiver or pre-pro
- main power on/off switch
- detachable power cord
- protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- black oak wood veneer finish
- 21-3/4"W x 25"H x 31"D
- weight: 174.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # PB16 Ultra BK Oak
What's in the box:
- Powered subwoofer
- 5' AC power cord
- Remote control (3V battery installed)
- Owner's Manual