Stereo Integrated Amplifier: With a fully discrete current feedback design, the Marantz Model 40n integrated amplifier is perfect for audiophiles wanting excellent music quality. The Model 40n is conservatively rated at 70 watts per channel into 8O, and 100 watts per channel into 4O (20-20kHz @ 0.02%)?for compatibility with the widest range of loudspeakers. Its been expertly crafted and tuned for the most musical sound possible.
- Current Feedback Amplification: Marantz proprietary current-feedback circuit, using discrete components, is adopted in the pre-amplifier and power amplifier. Current Feedback amplification is a well-known, Marantz-original circuit technology, suiting perfectly the requirements of high-resolution audio with wide-bandwidth and high-speed reproduction. The impedance at the Current Feedback point is limited resulting in a very low phase shift, meaning Marantz Current Feedback amplifiers reduce the need for phase compensation via Negative FeedBack (NFB) to a minimum. This simplified signal path results in high through-rate, excellent transient response, and superb sonic transparency across the full bandwidth. Unlike conventional Voltage Feedback topology, Current Feedback also makes the power amplifier insensitive to difficult loudspeaker loads.
- Marantz HDAM Technology: Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards called Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules, or HDAMs, to replace the chip-based amps used elsewhere. Using discrete surface mount components with short mirror-image left and right signal paths, HDAMs outperform the regular integrated Op-amps dramatically in Slew Rate and noise level. The result is much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. The Model 40n leverages this unique Marantz innovation and use a high-grade HDAM-SA3 version to ensure whatever you're listening to is always the most musical.
Toroidal Transformer: The Marantz Model 40n integrated amplifier utilizes a large double-shielded Toroidal transformer. A Toroidal transformer has several advantages over a normal EI core transformer. It is very efficient and therefore delivers more power compared to the same size of an EI core transformer. In addition, due to its shape, the electromagnetic radiation and the mechanical vibration are extremely low all ending in a better sound quality.
24-Bit/192kHz Hi-Res DAC: The Marantz Model 40n integrated amplifier employs an ESS ES9016 DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that processes PCM and DSD signals up to 24-bit/192kHz and 5.6MHz, respectively.
- Digital Filter: The DAC is equipped with two digital filters which allow you to enjoy the desired playback sound quality. Filter 1 Offers a short impulse response for both pre-echo and post-echo, allowing a large amount of audio information to clearly reproduce deep stereo imaging and the relative position of the sound source. Filter 2 is known as asymmetrical impulse response, so the post echo is slightly longer than the pre-echo and the sound characteristics are more analog like.
- Lock Range: Narrowing down the Lock Range setting reduces jittering, providing clearer sound. However, if the Lock Range is set too narrow, it may cause intermittent sounds and noise during playback or when switching to a song with a different sampling frequency. If this occurs, broaden the Lock Range setting until the music you are listening to sounds normal. The Lock Range can be set to Narrow, Medium, or Wide (default).
Tone Controls: The Marantz Model 40n lets you adjust Bass and Treble to suit your sound, or bypass with Source Direct mode for the purest sound possible. You can manually adjust the integrated amplifier's Bass (50Hz) and Treble (15kHz) from -10dB to +10dB. To ensure the shortest signal path and upmost fidelity, the Model 40n features Marantz Source Direct function, which bypasses the tone and balance control circuitry for a straight path, delivering elevated sound purity.
HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Marantz Model 40n is equipped with a HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) jack to connect the integrated amplifier to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The integrated amplifier's ARC jack only supports 2ch PCM audio (up to 24-bit/192kHz). It is not compatible with Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel audio formats.
Optical & Coaxial Digital Inputs: The Model 40n is outfitted with one optical (toslink) digital input and one coaxial (RCA) digital input for connecting your existing digital audio source components. The optical and coaxial digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz.
Note: The optical & coaxial digital inputs do not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multichannel surround formats.
Line-Level Analog Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz Model 40n is equipped with three analog line-level stereo RCA inputs (CD / Line / Recorder), and one analog line-level stereo RCA output (Recorder) for connection of legacy audio source components.
Phono MM Input: The Model 40n is equipped with a Phono MM input with the Marantz Music Phono EQ built-in, so you can connect a turntable with a MM cartridge directly to the Model 40n integrated amplifier. The Marantz Music Phono EQ integrates a FET (field-effect transistors) in its Phono input stage. This provides high input impedance, eliminates the need for AC coupling capacitors, and simplifies the signal path, lowering distortion and noise vastly improving the signal purity overall.
Power Amp In (Home Theater Bypass): The Marantz Model 40n provides a Power Amp Input (also known as Home Theater Bypass) that consists of two fixed gain stereo RCA inputs. These stereo RCA inputs can be used for connecting an external preamp and using the Model 40n as a power amp. This is convenient when connecting an AV amp via its pre-outs so that the listening space with the same front speakers can be used as a home theater.
High Quality Binding Posts: The Model 40n integrated amplifier features a set of heavy-duty, dense brass binding post speaker output terminals with thick silver plating to provide the best possible contact and signal transfer with your speaker cables. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG, pin-connectors, and banana plus (single only). You can connect a pair of 8-ohm or 4-ohm loudspeakers.
Mono-RCA Sub Out: The Model 40n's mono-RCA sub output lets you add a powered subwoofer and dial in low-frequency crossover settings and level adjustment for precise integration with your main loudspeakers. The variable low pass crossover for the subwoofer output can be set to 40, 60, 80, 100, or 120Hz.
1/4" Headphone Jack: The Marantz Model 40n features a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack to plug in your set of headphones. The amplifier's speaker outputs and pre-outs will automatically mute when headphones are plugged in.
Network & HEOS Audio
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz Model 40n offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the network integrated amplifier access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Marantz Model 40n network integrated amplifier is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the network integrated amplifier to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The network integrated amplifier also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11ac; 2.4/5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual, or shared through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: Built-in HEOS technology enables the Model 40n to become part of the , allowing you to stream and control local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- Systems: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, players, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz).
- Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system - HDMI ARC, Analog & Digital Inputs, TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, & other HEOS compatible online music services; Windows PC/DLNA music servers; Bluetooth & USB audio; plus music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. HEOS wireless multiroom audio does not support AirPlay 2.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual speakers or amplifiers into a group of speakers that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 speakers/amplifiers per Group).
- Party Mode:?You can easily group 16 rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Marantz Model 40n includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the integrated amp's front-panel display using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to and have the Spotify App on your or mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz integrated amp. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Online Music Services: The Model 40n's built-in HEOS technology lets you stream your favorite online music services like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, Rhapsody, and Amazon Music (more streaming music services coming soon - stay tuned). The HEOS app (for and +) will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels. These online music services can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- : Listen to over a million songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Prime & Unlimited Music. With the addition of Amazon Music HD, you will now be able to play Ultra HD music on supported HEOS devices from the HEOS App when choosing Amazon Music. Amazon HD means at least 24-bit/48kHz and up to 192kHz audio streaming. Requires Amazon subscription and account.
- TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- : Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- : iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- SiriusXM Internet Radio of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- : Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app (for and +), you are able to stream your device's music library to the Marantz integrated amp. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library. Your music music must be stored on the device (and not the cloud).
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The Model 40n is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The network integrated amplifier can wirelessly playback High-Res music content from your PC, while using the included remote control to browse your music library. The unit supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD. The Marantz Model 40n supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
| Resolution || Compatible Audio Formats || Sampling Frequencies || Bit-Rate/Depth || Extension |
| Hi-Res ||WAV (PCM) ||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz ||16/24-bit ||.wav |
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) ||16/24-bit ||.flac |
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) ||16/24-bit ||.m4A |
|DSD ||2.8/5.6 MHz ||1-bit ||.dsf/.dff |
| Compressed ||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) ||32/44.1/48 kHz ||32-320 kbps ||.mp3 |
|WMA (Windows Media Audio) ||48-192 kbps ||.wma |
|AAC (MPEG-4) ||16-320 kbps ||.aac/.m4a |
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Roon Tested: is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Marantz integrated amplifier and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also integrate your iTunes library, and optionally merge with the music streaming service. software can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer, while a Roon Remote app is available for and ). When you access the Roon software or remote app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the available Marantz integrated amplifier and other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Marantz integrated amplifier or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- To use Roon you will need a running on the same network as the Marantz integrated amplifier. The is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
- Make sure your Marantz product has the latest firmware/software update installed.
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the network integrated amplifier and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the network integrated amplifier. You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the network integrated amplifier.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz Model 40n features built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with a 98.4' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the Model 40n, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Marantz network integrated amplifier. The network integrated amplifier supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the network integrated amplifier's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled device. There is no song/artist information display on the network integrated amplifier. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: The Marantz Model 40n is a Bluetooth receiver and not a transmitter. It can receive Bluetooth audio from compatible devices, but it cannot transmit Bluetooth audio to headphones or speakers.
Rear-Panel USB Input: The Marantz network integrated amplifier is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply). Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 (a FAT16 device can have up to 2GB of storage, while a FAT32 device can have up to 2TB of storage). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5000 files. You can use the network integrated amplifier's?remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display the network integrated amp's front-panel LCD. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the network integrated amplifier's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Note: The network integrated amplifier's USB-A port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, card-readers, and computers.
Remote, App, & Voice Control
Remote Control: The Marantz Model 40n includes an ergonomic IR remote control for wireless operation of the network integrated amplifier and its various audio sources. The Model 40n also supports HDMI-CEC (Conusmer Electronics Control) and features a Remote In/Out.
- HDMI-CEC: When you make an HDMI ARC connection with a TV that also supports HDMI-CEC, the Model 40n integrated amplifier and TV will turn on and switch to the correct input at the same time, as well as turn off simultaneously. You will also be able to control the volume level from one remote control.
- Remote In/Out: In addition, there are RCA input/output connectors on the rear-panel allow you to connect the Model 40n to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals for operation from one remote controller.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for and ) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the Marantz Model 40n. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the Model 40n and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, Bluetooth or USB audio; as well as analog & digital inputs; plus SACD or CD playback. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Playing" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alexa voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. And thanks to the latest firmware update, you can even use Alexa to switch inputs on HEOS enabled AV receivers and soundbars.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
- You will need to download the Alexa app (for or ) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- For a list of current Alexa voice commands supported by the HEOS HomeEntertainment Skill, click .
- For setup instructions, click .
Google Assistant Support: Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for and ), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- A future firmware update will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
Josh.ai Smart Home Voice Automation: An elevated voice agent for the high-end smart home, offers flexible voice control for nearly any aspect of your day-to-day experience and entertainment environment. Use voice commands to control the Marantz integrated amp, thermostat, lights, home appliances, powered speakers, and more. Josh.ai is installed by custom integrators and accessed through the Josh - Home Automation app on your or device.
Front-Panel Display: The front-panel display indicates source selection, song/artist/album information (no album art), sampling frequency data, and menu settings. The display brightness can be adjusted between four levels. Switching the display off reduces a source of noise that affects sound quality, enabling higher sound quality playback.
Favorites: The Favorite function allows you to register your favorite stations and files in the Favorite List in advance so that you can call and listen to the stations or files right away. The content that you can register and recall are Internet radio stations, online music services, DLNA music servers, and USB. You can register up to 50 items in the Favorite List.
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with FLAC, WAV, ALAC, and DSD music files via USB or DLNA.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 90 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto-Standby: If there is no input signal or operation for 1 to 99 minutes, the Marantz network integrated amplifier will automatically go into Standby mode.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs
Software Updates: Using the amplifier's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. You can also set the integrated amp to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit for access to downloads to keep the Marantz integrated amplifier up-to-date.