Product Research | Marantz M-CR612
Audio & Tuner Section
High Quality Construction: The Marantz M-CR612 Network CD Receiver is crafted with superior materials and is fully optimized with compact signal paths to reduce distortion and improve sound for precision, high-quality audio performance. Its built with durable components and materials that are designed to last, including a double layer, scratch-resistant top-panel that maintains its quality for years to come.
Digital Audio Amplifier Technology: Featuring four channels of high-efficiency, low-distortion digital audio amplification, you can easily configure the M-CR612 to drive two pairs of loudspeakers with independent volume control for each pair (same audio source is played back through both sets of speakers). Or, configure it to drive a single pair of speakers with double the output power and the option to connect a pair of audiophile bi-amp compatible speakers. Additionally, the M-CR612 is fully compatible with low impedance 4-ohm speakers. You can choose between 3 Amplifier Modes -
- Standard: Standard configuration for connecting a single pair of loudspeakers to Speaker A terminals, or for connecting a pair of loudspeakers to Speaker A and Speaker B Terminals. Each of the four connected speakers is powered by a separate amplifier with 30 watts of power being delivered to each loudspeaker.
- Parallel BTL: The Parallel BTL configuration allows you to use all four amplifiers to drive a single pair of loudspeakers connected to the Speaker A terminals (Speaker B terminals will not be used). The output of the unit doubles with 60 watts being delivered to each loudspeaker.
- Bi-Amp: This configuration allows you to bi-amplify a single pair of speakers for better sound quality. Two amplifier channels are used to power a single loudspeaker by sending separate power to the tweeter and woofer section. 30 watts of power is delivered to the woofer and tweeter sections of each loudspeaker.
Tone Control: The Marantz M-CR612 network CD receiver provides Bass (100Hz) & Treble (10kHz) control with an adjustment range of -10dB to +10dB). It also offer Left & Right Balance control. In addition, there is a DBB (Dynamic Bass Boost) feature that can be turned on to emphasize bass around 100Hz up to +8dB. You can bypass the receiver's tone controls by selecting Source Direct for a purer sound that is closer to the original source recording.
Volume Limit: You can set the unit's maximum volume to 80, 85, 90, 95, or 100 (max). The volume cannot be increased above this setting. The unit's entire volume range is from 0 to 100.
Analog & Digital Audio Inputs: The Marantz M-CR612 is equipped with analog & digital audio inputs. There is one analog stereo RCA input and two optical (toslink) digital inputs. The digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). You can setup one of the optical inputs (not both) for automatic input switching, so when you turn on the connected source device and begin playback, the network CD receiver will automatically switch over to that optical digital input.
A/B Speaker Terminals: The Marantz M-CR612 is equipped with A and B speaker terminals for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers, or bi-amping a single pair of loudspeakers. These binding-post terminals will support bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana-plugs (single or dual). You can connect 4-ohm to 16-ohm loudspeakers. You are able to choose between 5 Frequency Response modes for the speaker outputs.
- Flat: Applies full-range frequency response.
- Response 1: Cuts low frequencies at 40Hz or under by -12 dB/oct.
- Response 2: Cuts low frequencies at 60Hz or under by -12 dB/oct.
- Response 3: Cuts low frequencies at 80Hz or under by -12 dB/oct.
- Response 4: Cuts low frequencies at 100Hz or under by -12 dB/oct.
Mono-Subwoofer Output: A mono-RCA subwoofer output allows you to connect a powered subwoofer for bigger bass. The subwoofer output does not contain a low-pass crossover or level adjustment. You'll need a powered subwoofer with a built-in low-pass crossover and level adjustment.
Fixed or Variable Output: The M-CR612 provides a selectable fixed or variable level stereo RCA output to connect directly to powered speakers or a power amplifier for digital source player/pre-amplifier use. You'll be able to control volume with the remote handset or via compatible apps.
3.5mm Headphone Jack: There is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the front-panel of the M-CR612 network CD receiver allowing you to connect a set of headphones and listen to your music privately. When headphones are plugged in, audio will no longer be output from the unit's connected speakers. You can set the gain (High, Mid, Low) of the headphone amplifier in accordance with the impedance of your connected headphones.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz network CD receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 50 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. FM wire and AM loop antenna is included.
Disc Compatibility: The Marantz M-CR612 features a built-in CD player with playback support for CD Audio discs, as well as CD-R and CD-RW discs with MP3/WMA music files (formatted in ISO9660 level1). The unit can recognize up to 256 folders/512 files on one disc. In addition to basic playback & search functions (such as Play/Pause, Stop, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat); the CD player offers direct track access and program playback (up to 25 tracks). The CD player can also be setup to automatically begin playback when a disc is loaded.
USB Port: The Marantz M-CR612 is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply). Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 (a FAT16 device can have up to 2GB of storage, while a FAT32 device can have up to 2TB of storage). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5000 files. You can use the network CD receiver's?remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display the network CD receivers front-panel LCD. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the network CD receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
- Charge your smartphone with the USB port, even if the M-CR612 is in standby. Once the device is fully charged, the M-CR612 automatically enters a low-power standby mode for minimal power consumption (0.3 Watt).
- The network CD receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, and computers.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz M-CR612 features built-in Bluetooth 3.0+EDR with a 98.4' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the M-CR612, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Marantz network CD receiver. The network CD receiver supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the network audio player's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled device. There is no song/artist information display on the network CD receiver. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
- Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls is not supported.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz network CD receiver.
Network, HEOS, & AirPlay
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz M-CR612 offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the network CD receiver access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon, or Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Marantz M-CR612 network CD receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the network CD receiver to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The network CD receiver also offers built-in dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n) with dual-diversity antennas for a wireless network connection (even in congested urban environments); WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual, or shared through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Marantz M-CR612 includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the network CD receiver's menu using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to and have the Spotify App on your or mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Marantz network audio player. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Music Apps: With built-in HEOS technology and the HEOS app (for and ) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you'll be able to stream a wide variety of online music services (fees may apply), plus the music library of your mobile device through the Marantz network CD receiver.
- Online Music Services: Using the HEOS app, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music services like , , , , , , , & (some services will require a paid subscription, purchases, and/or other fees) . The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the Marantz network CD receiver. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Audio: Built-in HEOS technology enables the M-CR612 to become part of the , allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, players, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 HEOS devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
- Compatible Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system -
- Analog & Digital audio inputs
- TuneIn Internet Radio & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora, Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio (AirPlay is not supported)
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The M-CR612 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The network CD receiver can wirelessly playback High-Res music content from your PC, while using the included remote control to browse your music library. The unit supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD. The Marantz M-CR612 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
AirPlay 2: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Marantz network audio player and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Marantz network audio player. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information via the network audio player's front-panel LCD. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Marantz network audio player.
Roon Tested: is a feature rich music library and playback application that compiles all the music files available to your network and makes them easily available to play on the Marantz receiver and any other Roon enabled audio devices. Roon manages digital music files (including FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC, and DSD) collected on hard drives and networked storage devices. It can also integrate your iTunes library, and optionally merge with the and music streaming services. software can be installed on your Windows or Mac computer, while a Roon Remote app is available for and ). When you access the Roon software or remote app, it will display your complete audio library together with its metadata and artwork along with the available Marantz receiver and other Roon enabled devices. Simply select the music you wish to play and the Marantz receiver or Roon device in which you want to hear it on.
- To use Roon you will need a running on the same network as the Marantz receiver. The is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS, or component (like Nucleus or ROCK - sold separately), located on the network within your home.
- Make sure your Marantz product has the latest firmware/software update installed.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for and ) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the M-CR612 network CD receiver. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the network CD receiver and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, network CD receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from analog or digital audio inputs; online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device; Windows PC or DLNA music server, and USB or Bluetooth audio. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alexa-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alexa voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
- You will need to download the Alexa app (for or ) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- For a list of current Alexa voice commands supported by the HEOS HomeEntertainment Skill, click .
- For setup instructions, click .
Google Assistant Support: Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for and ), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed. Notes:
- A firmware update (scheduled for 2019) will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz M-CR612 comes with an IR remote control for complete wireless operation of the network CD receiver. You can also program your TV's IR remote to control basic playback functions of the unit (such as Power On/Off, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Optical 1/2 Input, and Analog Input.
Compact Chassis Design w/ Accent Lighting: Thanks to its compact chassis design, you can place the M-CR612 practically anywhere in your room. Deluxe vertical lighting accents on the front-panel offer four user-selectable choices to perfectly match your taste.
Front-Panel Controls: The M-CR612 features front-panel controls for convenient and intuitive operation of the Network CD Receiver.
Front-Panel OLED: The front-panel features a clear, legible 3-line Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) screen that provides numerical and text display from a wide viewing angle for easy operation and control. The display provides source identification and song/artist/album information (no album art). The display offers five brightness levels and three languages (English, French, and Spanish).
Gapless Playback: Many live and classical albums have no gaps in the music. Gapless playback ensures that there are no pauses between audio files. This provides playback with no interruptions, the way it was meant to be heard. Compatible with FLAC, WAV, ALAC and DSD music files via USB or DLNA.
Alarm Clock: The M-CR612 features a clock display with alarm. You can set an alarm so audio from a set input source (CD, Tuner, Optical, Analog) can be played back at a specific time. You can set this alarm to happen only once or every day.
Sleep Timer: You can have the unit's power automatically switched to "standby" once a set time has elapsed. This is convenient for listening to music while going to sleep. The sleep timer can be set to up to 90 minutes in steps of 10 minutes.
Auto Standby: The Marantz M-CR612 will automatically go into "standby" mode when there has been no audio signal and no operation for a specified period of time. You can set the Auto Standby time from 1 minute to 99 minutes.
Software Updates: Using the M-CR612's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. You can also set the receiver to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date.