CapitalSound.ca's Review of the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA Dolby Atmos enabled floorstanding tower speaker elegant Walnut finish
The Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA has an upward-firing array that bounces sound effects off of your ceiling.
Movie theater performance from Klipsch
If you want truly immersive sound from your home theater, consider using the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA tower as a left- or right-channel speaker in your system. This giant floor-stander is really two speakers in one — a feature-packed Klipsch tower that's terrific for music and movie soundtracks, and also a Dolby Atmos upward-firing speaker that bounces sound effects off of your ceiling.
Excellent sound from multiple directions
This is the most capable speaker in Klipsch's 2018 Reference Premiere lineup. Its "main section" features two 8" spun-copper woofers for deep, powerful bass and midrange, along with Klipsch's signature 1" horn-loaded tweeter for smooth, detailed highs.
It also has an upward-facing 6-1/2" woofer and 1" horn-loaded tweeter, which together provide three-dimensional sound effects in your room.
Hybrid horn technology for dynamic performance
Horn technology is one of Klipsch's long-standing hallmarks. Flared openings in the speaker cabinet project sound waves toward your listening area and prevent them from simply spilling out in all directions. This design reduces reflections that can color the sound, and boosts dynamics and efficiency for powerful, "front row" sound that remains crystal-clear at all volume levels.
Klipsch's Tractrix horn features a circular throat around an advanced titanium diaphragm tweeter that transitions into a square 90° x 90° mouth. This unique shape provides a cleaner, more efficient transition of sound waves into your listening space. The result is a wide listening "sweet spot" with precise placement of instruments and vocals.
A horn that enhances bass, too
Take a look at the back of the RP-8060FA and you'll find that instead of the conventional round port tube found on many speakers, Klipsch uses a Tractrix horn-shaped opening for smoother, more efficient airflow in and out of the cabinet. The resulting decrease in air turbulence makes for cleaner, more powerful bass with reduced port noise and low-frequency distortion.
Because this speaker is rear-ported, I recommend pulling it away from your wall to give it room to "breathe."
Bi-amp or bi-wire for even better sound
On the back of the RP-8060FA you'll find two sets of speaker input terminals for the main speaker section. These let you bi-amp or bi-wire your speaker to get the best sound out of it.
There's also an additional set of input terminals that connect to your receiver's height channel to power the Atmos array.
Product Highlights | Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA (Walnut):
Main Channel Specifications:
- frequency response: 32-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- sensitivity: 98 dB
- power handling: up to 150 watts RMS (600 watts peak)
- 90° x 90° Hybrid Cross-Section Tractrix horn with 1" LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) titanium diaphragm tweeter
- dual 8" Cerametallic cone woofers with rigid titanium voice coil formers
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design
- rear-firing Tractrix port provides fast, efficient airflow from the cabinet for clear, powerful bass
- two sets of 5-way binding post speaker terminals for bi-amping or bi-wiring
Height Channel Specifications:
- frequency response: conforms to Dolby Atmos specification
- sensitivity: conforms to Dolby Atmos specification
- power handling: up to 75 watts RMS (300 watts peak)
- 90° x 90° Hybrid Cross-Section Tractrix horn with 1" LTS titanium diaphragm tweeter
- 6-1/2" Cerametallic cone woofer
- acoustic suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- single binding post speaker terminals
- magnetically attached front grille for a clean, streamlined look
- ebony vinyl finish with scratch-resistant design
- built-in MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) base for increased speaker stability
- 10-7/8"W x 43-1/4"H x 19-13/16"D
- weight: 71 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
What's in the Box:
Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-8060FA Owner's manual
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- Stabilizer feet (installed)
- Grille (installed)
- 2 Terminal jumpers (installed)
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information