Marantz Cinema 40
For the audiophile and the cinephile
Meet the flagship of Marantz's newly redesigned home theater receiver lineup, the Cinema 40. This receiver looks as good as it sounds, featuring the iconic Marantz porthole display and dimpled front side panels. And these eye-catching design touches only hint at the high-performance audio and video circuitry hiding within the chassis of this sleek receiver.
State-of-the-art 8K video compatibility, nine discrete amplifier channels, and an amazing four subwoofer outputs are only the beginning of the prodigious capabilities of the Cinema 40. At 125 watts per channel, you get plenty of volume and all-encompassing surround sound, great for home theater and music enthusiasts alike. Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules deliver Marantz's warm, detailed, signature sound. Rounding out the high-tech goodness, a high-end digital-to-analog converter decodes high-resolution music files with razor-sharp accuracy.
All about that bass
More bass? Yes please! For the discerning bass aficionado, Marantz has included four subwoofer outputs on its premium receivers this year. Your most bass-heavy music and rumbling movie soundtracks will have exciting new depth. Using multiple powered subs obviously gives you more bass, but also more balanced bass. Choose the "Standard" subwoofer setting for evenly distributed bass performance throughout the room, or "Directional" to tailor each sub's bass performance to the closest speaker.
Advanced room calibration
Audyssey MultEQ® XT32 is one of the industry's best room-correction platforms. It measures the acoustics of your room with the included microphone, and then fine-tunes the output of your system to best match the unique sonic characteristics of your space.
To fully dial in your system, download the optional Audyssey MultEQ Editor app. It lets you direct the speaker calibration process from your phone or tablet, instead of with the handheld remote control. The app also unlocks additional Audyssey features like EQ curve adjustment, Midrange Compensation control, and the ability to save multiple calibration profiles.
Coming in 2023, you'll also have the option to purchase and download the Dirac Live® advanced speaker calibration program to your Mac® or PC, another state-of-the-art room correction system that can make your system sound its best.
Advanced video processing gets the most out of your sources
Marantz made sure the Cinema 40 is compatible with the latest video technology. All seven HDMI inputs and two of three HDMI outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video content (think Sony's PlayStation® 5, or the Xbox Series X). Or, use a high-quality source like a or an for outstanding cinema quality.
Music in one room or many
This receiver also lets you stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or Apple AirPlay 2. Use the built-in phono input to hook up your turntable. You can even play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all kinds of different content through the Cinema 40. Listen to internet radio stations, or to popular subscription services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL.
You can integrate the Cinema 40 into a wireless multi-room audio system with . It will also show up in your player list if you're using (subscription and Roon Core required).
Just ask Alexa...
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your to issue voice commands to the Cinema 40. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices.
Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
...or your Google Assistant
The Cinema 40 is also compatible with Google Assistant-enabled devices. Launch a song in the HEOS app, and then ask your or Google Pixel phone to change volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more.
Power and processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) offer exquisite detail and dynamic range while reducing noise
- Dolby, DTS, and Auro-3D surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for four subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customization (paid app; not included)
- future compatibility with optional Dirac Live advanced speaker calibration system (coming soon in 2023; requires purchase of software license)
- requires installation of Dirac Live software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration
Digital and streaming music options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and Spotify (subscription required for some services)
- free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controllers
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Bluetooth transmission for sending audio from the receiver to Bluetooth-enabled headphones
- play audio through Bluetooth headphones only, or through Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- works as a Roon player (requires subscription and Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- three-room/three-source output
- powered stereo outputs for second and third rooms allow playback in three rooms at once
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that all zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- All Zone TV Audio lets you play surround sound in your main room and downmixed stereo in your 2nd room
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2/3 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- all inputs and 2 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG, and Dynamic HDR
- upscales 1080p video signals to Ultra HD (up to 8K)
- analog video source conversion to HDMI output
- gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- 2 composite video inputs
- 1 component video input
- digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo audio line-level inputs
- 2 analog stereo audio outputs (variable) for Zones 2 and 3
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- 11.4-channel preamp outputs
- four discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height1 L/R, Height2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C and IR (infrared) remote connections for use with optional third-party controllers
- three 12-volt trigger outputs
- full-sized headphone jack
- removable power cord
Dimensions and other info:
- free Marantz AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Marantz Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-7/16"W x 7-7/16"H x 19-13/16"D (9-15/16"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- weight: 33 lbs., 3 oz.
- warranty: 5 years
- MFR # CINEMA 40
What's in the box:
- 9.4ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC048SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard microphone stand
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
- Spotify brochure
- Heos brochure
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- "Bluetooth/WiFi Certified" note
- Optional Dirac Live note