Download owner's manual
- AV Surround Preamplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC027SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Microphone stand
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp) Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Notes On Radio
- Cable Labels
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
Preamp/Processor Advantage: Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the Marantz AV8802A AV Surround Preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV receivers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general.
Note: The Marantz AV8802A AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier ( MM8077, sold separately).
Current Feedback Topology: The Marantz AV8802A uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions.
HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules): The AV8802A utilizes Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic music and soundtrack reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorite sources.
Optimized Components: The carefully-optimized audio/video signal paths rest on separate circuit boards for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high-speed video processing. The Marantz AV8802A is also equipped with a Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer that is capable of reducing jitter and phase noise that negatively affect sound quality. The Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer improves the sound localization, reproducing a natural sound field. In addition, Marantz surround preamplifier employs a high current linear power supply with an torodial power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
32-Bit/192kHz DACs: To handle today's wide-bandwidth and high dynamic range content, the audio section of the AV8802A is equipped with the latest high resolution 32-bit/192kHz DACs on all channels. The 192kHz sampling and 32-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz AV8802A is equipped with a high-resolution SHARC 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The AV8802A is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The AV surround preamplifier features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6 DTS Neural, DTS Neo:X
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the preamp must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The AV8802A has the processing power to run a more enveloping 7ch or 9ch Dolby Atmos layout using 5.2.2, 5.2.4, 7.2.2, 7.2.4, or 9.1.2 configurations utilizing ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.2.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 5.2.4 configuration is based on a 5.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.2.2 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 2 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 7.2.4 configuration is based on a 7.1 speaker layout with 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. A 9.2.2 configuration is based on a 9.1 speaker layout with 2 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- Ceiling Mounted Speakers: Ceiling speakers are used for maximizing effects in Dolby Atmos listening mode. Install these speakers midway between the position just above the listening position and the position just above the front speakers, or simply install them just above the listening position.
- Dolby Enabled Speakers: There are two types of Dolby Enabled Speakers; one is to be placed on the top board of other speakers such as front speakers and surround speakers; the other is integrated within the front or surround speakers. Dolby Enabled Speakers are designed with their output facing toward the ceiling to create an elevated audio effect in the Dolby Atmos mode by providing sounds echoing off the ceiling.
Note: Globally, more than 100 cinema blockbusters have been released featuring Dolby Atmos soundtracks in the past two years, and many more are on the way. Major Hollywood studios are partnering with Dolby to create home video versions of current box office releases and previously released favorites for release in 2014 and 2015.
Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your Dolby Digital (Plus/TrueHD) and DTS (ES/HD) movie soundtracks using your existing 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
AURO-3D Upgrade ($199): Auro-3D is the next generation three-dimensional audio standard. It provides a realistic sound experience unlike anything before. By fully immersing the listener in a cocoon of life-like sound, Auro-3D creates the sensation of actually "being there". Thanks to a unique "Height" channel configuration, recorded acoustic reflections are reproduced by these speakers and are heard naturally due to the fact that sounds originate from around as well as above the listener. Once upgraded with the AURO-Codec Decoder, the AV8802A is capable of decoding the original Auro-3D mix and playing back an Auro 10.1 channel configuration.
Direct Listening Modes: The Marantz AV8802A offers two Direct Listening Modes which bypass the preamplifier's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Source Direct provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct goes a step further by turning off the preamp's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz AV8802A surround preamplifier also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers. The 2CH Stereo mode is for playing in two channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer. Multi-Channel Stereo mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers. Virtual Speaker mode lets you enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Audyssey Platinum: The AV8802A features the Audyssey Platinum suite of powerful DSP features; including MultEQ XT32, Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, and Audyssey DSX.
- MultEQ XT32: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. MultEQ XT32 provides greater filter precision for the main and surround speakers, with 8x the resolution compared to the base MultEQ system, along with the ability to measure at up to 32 locations in the room. MultEQ XT32 compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT + LFC: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual tailoring for each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, delivering the optimum combination of highest deep bass output and lowest distortion. Audyssey LFC processing analyses and processes bass content on a continuous basis and custom tailors the sound via advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver dynamic bass response within the listening room without annoying family members or neighbors in adjacent rooms.
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
- Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion (DSX): Audyssey DSX adds front effect speakers to improve spatial sound reproduction. Starting with a 5.1 channel system, DSX adds front Wide and/or front Height channels for better sound staging (although both wide and height speakers can be added, only one pair is used at a time). DSX also applies Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the blend between the front and surround channels.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust - Panorama (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Audyssey DSX Settings: While listening in the Audyssey DSX audio format, there are two further enhancements you can adjust; Stage Height (adjust sound stage height +/-10 when using front height speakers) and Stage Width (adjust sound stage width when using front wide speakers)
- Center Gain & Center Spread: During DTS NEO:X, this function distributes the dialog output from the center channel to the front left and right channels and widens the sound image in t he front. During Dolby Surround, this feature epxands the cetner channel signal to the left and right front speakers to create a wider frontal audio image for the listener.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz AV8802A preamplifier provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, and DTS Neo:6 modes.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
Level Adjustments: The AV8802A provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the preamp's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The AV8802A offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the preamplifier's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV preamplifier/processor offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Balanced/Unbalanced Preamp Outputs: The Marantz AV8802A is fitted with both unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR preamp outputs. The AV preamplifier features 13.2ch pre-amp outputs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height 1 L/R, Front Height 2 L/R, Front Wide L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AV8802A features two discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more. Note: If you are connecting the AV8802A to a "vintage" amplifier via XLR, please make sure the pin-out configuration of the amplifier is the same as the preamplifier (Pin 1-Ground, Pin 2-Hot, Pin 3-Cold
- XLR Inputs: The AV8802A has a pair assignable XLR left & right inputs for connecting a high-quality audio component.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: There are 2 coaxial digital inputs and 2 optical digital inputs. The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, DVD, Blu-ray, or other digital source component. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The AV8802A features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- Phono Input: The AV8802A's phono (MM) input lets you connect to a turntable and offers the amplification that this weaker signal requires. The preamp's phono circuitry prepares the signal from the turntable for amplification, letting you enjoy your vinyl collection at full volume without tonal distortion.
- Headphone Output: The AV surround preamplifier features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI Inputs/Outputs: This surround preamplifier is equipped with eight HDMI inputs (7 rear/1 front) and three HDMI outputs, enabling connection to various HDMI compatible devices such as Blu-ray Disc players, satellite/cable boxes, game consoles, and HD video camcorders. The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays, while the third discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone. The HDMI jacks can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4K video signals to a HDTV (depending on input).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The preamplifier's HDMI inputs and HDMI outputs support 4K/60Hz Ultra-HD, 4:4:4 Pure Color, and 21:9 video pass-through, a feature of the latest HDMI 2.0 specification for Ultra-HD content. The receiver's HDMI inputs/outputs also support HDCP 2.2 which fully complies with the latest copyright protection, a standard for 4K video transmission. In addition, the preamp's HDMI jacks support 1080p (24 or 60Hz) for playback of high-definition content from Blu-ray, satellite/cable, and gaming devices.
- 3D Ready: Every HDMI input and output of the AV8802A is able to pass through 3D video signals from your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box to your 3D ready TV via HDMI.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The preamplifier also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the surround preamplifeir through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the preamplifier set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the preamplifier automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-200ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 200ms to synchronize it with the video image.
4K Video Upconversion: The Marantz AV preamplifier's sophisticated video processor provides upconversion from standard definition (480i/480p) and high definition (720p/1080i/1080p) sources to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels), which lets you connect all your analog (composite/component) or digital (HDMI) video sources to the AV8802A and then connect to your HDTV with just a single HDMI cable.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV preamplifier is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the preamplifier's HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV preamplifier's HDMI monitor output. Once the preamplifier is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the preamplifier's preouts.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Analog Video Inputs: The preamplifier/processor features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front), one composite video record output, one composite video monitor output, and one Zone 2 composite video output. The composite video monitor output can also be assigned to Zone 3. There are also three component video (60MHz) inputs, one component video monitor output, and one Zone 2 component video output.
Picture Mode: The AV8802A provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, ISF Day/Night, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the surround preamplifier while listening to a different audio signal from iPod, USB, CD, Tuner, Online Music, or Bluetooth.
Network & Tuner Functions
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz AV8802A is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the AV preamplifier to your home network. The unit also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 b/g; 2.4GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Either network connection gives the preamplifier access to your DLNA music server and various online music services. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (5.0+).
Note: The two included antennas must be connected to the AV8802A in order to use the preamp's built-in WiFi.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AV8802A is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the AV preamplifier and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the AV8802A 's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The preamp also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz AV8802A supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
| Compatible Audio Formats ||Sampling Frequencies ||Bit rate || Extension |
|WMA (Windows Media Audio) ||32/44.1/48 kHz ||48-192 kbps ||.wma |
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) ||32/44.1/48 kHz ||32-320 kbps ||.mp3 |
|WAV || 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz ||N/A ||.wav
NEED HELP? GET EXPERT ADVISE
Call us Toll Free Get Expert Advice