Uni-Q Driver Array: The LS50 powered speakers feature KEF's patented Uni-Q driver configuration, in which the tweeter is mounted at the acoustic center of the midrange cone. With both acting as a single point source, the sound is dispersed widely and evenly throughout the listening area allowing you to experience superbly defined and perfectly balanced stereo imagery with a wide "sweet spot". The Uni-Q driver array is made up of a 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter and a 5.25" magnesium/aluminum alloy cone woofer.
- 1" Aluminum Vented-Dome Tweeter: The geometry of the tweeter dome matches that of the midrange cone to avoid disrupting the waveform. By smoothening high frequency response, this helps to account for the detailed and strikingly natural-sounding treble. The 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter utilizes a Tangerine Waveguide to encourage the sound to radiate spherically for wider, more even dispersion so that everyone in the room enjoys the same superb sound quality. A large internal vent prevents potentially distorting high pressures from building up behind the dome in the critical vocal region, preserving all the nuance and fine detail of the original performance.
- 5.25" Magnesium/Aluminum Alloy Woofer: The 5.25" woofer uses a magnesium/aluminum alloy cone that is light, stiff, and smooth for natural midrange and midbass sound. A well as allowing the midrange cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation. Treble response is clearer and sweeter.
Note: The LS50 powered speaker system does not include grilles.
Bi-Amplifier Configuration: The 1" aluminum vented-dome tweeter and 5.25" magnesium/aluminum alloy woofer are powered by an incredible clean and fast 230 watt amplifier in a bi-amp dual mono configuration (200 watts to the woofer and 30 watts to the tweeter) that produces high-fidelity sound.
Note: Because the LS50 Wireless speaker system is self-powered, each speaker will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Advanced Time Correcting DSP: The LS50 Wireless employs an advanced time correcting DSP crossover that corrects for inherent time delays introduced in the crossover stage.
FEA-Designed Cabinet: The FEA-designed cabinet with its constrained layer damping bracing and precision engineered curved baffle, along with the elliptical flexible port all work in concert to prevent cabinet vibration and resonances that produce unwanted sound coloration for clear, spacious, distortion-free sound.
- Curved Baffle: The curved baffle is shaped so that the sound waves spread from the drivers with minimum reflection from the edges which gives a very nice spacious sound. The curvature also improves the rigidity of the baffle which reduces vibration and sound coloration.
- Constrained Layer Damping: The constrained layer damping which is between the brace and the enclosure walls and also the front baffle, prevents the cabinet from vibrating and radiating sound. This helps to prevent coloration in the midrange.
- Flexible Port Tube: The rear-firing port tube has a flexible wall which allows midrange sound that is travelling down the port tube to escape back into the cabinet and prevents longitudinal resonances; which can otherwise radiate and cause midrange coloration. The port tube also has very carefully flared walls to avoid the chuffing noises that you can hear when you get air turbulence inside the port.
24-Bit/192kHz DACs: The LS50 Wireless features an end-to-end 192kHz/24-bit high-resolution digital signal path with two separate DACs for each channel, for a total of four.
Speaker EQ: The LS50 Wireless speaker system provides a built-in Speaker EQ to tailor the sound of the system to the placement of the speaker. Select from "Desk", "Stand", "Wall", or "Free Space".
Advanced Audio Settings: Through the KEF LS50 Wireless app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.1+ you get access to advanced audio settings to expertly tailor the system's sound to your room environment and preference.
- Room Acoustics: You can select the size of your room (Small, Medium, or Large), as well as indicate the room setting (Damped, Moderate, or Lively). In addition, you can indicate how far the speakers are from the back wall.
- Bass & Treble: You adjust the treble trim from -2dB to +2dB. The bass extension can be set to Less, Standard, or Extra. There is also phase correction between the two speakers.
- Sub Controls: If you connect a powered subwoofer you can activate a variable high pass (50-120Hz) & low pass (40-250Hz) crossover. You can also adjust sub polarity and sub gain (-10 to +10dB), as well as the balance between subwoofer and speaker.
Tethered Cable: The speakers are labeled "RIGHT" & "LEFT". The included 10' Cat-6 cable plugs into the back of each speaker to connect them together as a stereo pair. You can set the balance between the Right & Left speaker.
Subwoofer Output: The KEF LS50 Wireless speaker system is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output to connect a powered sub (sold separately).
Variety Of Sources
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The KEF LS50 speaker system can be connected to your home network via a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) connection. There is a RJ-45 Ethernet port (10/100Mbps) on the back of the speaker which allows for a hardwired connection. Built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) allows the LS50 speaker system to connect wirelessly to your home network.
Note: KEF recommends streaming Hi-Res music files over a 5GHz WiFi network with a router transmission speed of at least 1300Mbps
DLNA Compliant: The LS50 Wireless is a DLNA Digital Media Renderer and can play Hi-Res music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) from other DLNA servers and NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices. The following music files can be streamed wireless via DLNA.
|File Format ||Sampling Frequency ||Bit Rate or Bit Depth |
|MP3 ||8-48 kHz ||16 bit |
|WMA ||8-48 kHz ||16 bit |
|AAC ||32-96 kHz ||16 bit |
|AIFF ||32-192 kHz ||16 / 24 bit |
|FLAC ||8-192 kHz ||16 / 24 bit |
|WAV ||8-48 kHz ||16 / 20 / 24 bits |
|PCM ||8-192 kHz ||16 / 20 / 24 bits |
Note: The LS50 Wireless does not support gapless playback.
Asynchronous USB-B Port: The LS50 Wireless speaker system is outfitted with an Asynchronous USB-B port for playback of 2ch PCM music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) from your Windows PC (7-up) or Mac computer (OSX 10.6-up). If you are using a Windows PC, you will need to download a dedicated USB audio driver from the KEF website.
Note: There is also a USB-A port, but this is for service and software/firmware updates only. It cannot be used for music streaming.
Optical Digital Input: The LS50 Wireless speaker features an optical (toslink) digital input with support for 2ch PCM audio (up to 24-bit/96kHz). The Optical digital input does not support Dolby Digital, DTS, or other multi-channel formats.
Stereo RCA Input: The LS50 Wireless powered speaker offers an analog stereo RCA output for connection of an analog audio source device. If you want to connect a turntable, you will need a turntable with a built-in phono preamp or an external phono preamp (sold separately).
Bluetooth 4.0: With its built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0), you are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, Mac computer/laptop and other Bluetooth source devices to the KEF LS50 speaker. You'll still need to control music playback and view song/artist info from your Bluetooth source device.
- aptX: In addition to support the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the KEF LS50 offers support for aptX. With aptX, you can stream CD-quality sound from aptX compatible devices (like Android OS 4.0+). Now your wireless music sounds rich, full, and natural with less compression.
- SSP: With SSP (Simple Secure Pairing), Bluetooth source devices can be paired with a single press of a button and without entering PIN code. Up to 8 devices can be paired with the LS50 speakers and two devices can remain connected, but only one device can be playing at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the KEF LS50.
Top-Panel & Remote Control: The KEF LS50 Wireless features top-panel touch-sensitive controls for Power, Source Selection, Bluetooth Pairing, and Volume. The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the same functions, plus Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Mute.
Remote App for iOS & Android: The KEF LS50 Wireless app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.1+ provides comprehensive and intuitive controls for the LS50 Wireless speaker system through your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The KEF LS50 Wireless app offers simple setup, flexible sound adjustment, and music streaming from your compatible mobile device and/or DLNA music server with complete playback control, song/artist info and album art.
Detachable AC Power Cords: Each speaker is powered by standard household current using the internal power supply and a detachable AC power cord. Note: The KEF LS50 Wireless speaker system is not battery powered.